Lovenox and/or Equivalents
|Drug||Related Drug Names|
|Lovenox 30mg/0.3ml and/or Equivalents||Lovenox|
|Lovenox 40mg/0.4ml and/or Equivalents||Clexane PFS, Clexane PFS, Lovenox|
|Lovenox 60mg/0.6ml and/or Equivalents||Clexane Injection, Lovenox|
|Lovenox 80mg/0.8ml and/or Equivalents||Clexane PFS, Lovenox|
|Lovenox 100mg/1.0ml and/or Equivalents||Clexane, Lovenox|
Lovenox is the brand name for the generic drug Enoxaparin – a blood thinner or anticoagulant which helps in the prevention of blood clot formations.
Conditions Treated by Lovenox
Physicians prescribe Lovenox for treating or preventing DVT or deep vein thrombosis – a kind of blood clot disorder that can result in pulmonary embolism or blood clots in your lungs. Usually people suffering from prolonged illness who have been tied down to their beds for a long time or patients who have undergone certain kinds of surgery are prescribed with Lovenox for treating or preventing post surgery or loss of mobility induced DVT.
Lovenox Dosage Information
a.) Typical Dosage Recommendations
- Abdominal Surgery – 40 mg of Lovenox once daily to be injected a couple of hours before the surgery. The dosage has to be continued for seven to 10 or 12 days.
- Knee or Hip Replacement Surgery – 30 mg of Lovenox to be administered through an injection once every 12 hours. Doctors may recommend 40 mg of Lovenox once every day for a hip replacement surgery for a total of 3 weeks.
- Restricted mobility induced thrombo embolism – 40 mg of Lovenox once every day for six to 11 days or up to two weeks
- Deep Vein Thrombosis, non Q Wave Myocardial Infarction, Unstable Angina – 1 or 1.5 mg of Lovenox per kg once every 12 hours
Treatment with Lovenox is a highly individualised process. Let your physician decide on the dosage.
b.) Missing a Dose
If you miss a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you can remember. If it is already time for your next dose, take the next dose at your regular schedule and throw out the missed dose. Do not take two doses at once to compensate for one missed dose as Lovenox overdose can turn fatal.
Physicians can treat Lovenox overdoses by making use of anti fibrinolytic agents (which promote blood clotting) as well as recombinant factor FVII, through transfusion of blood products, by providing the antidote protamine sulphate or by holding this medication. Overdosing on Lovenox can result in dangerous and life threatening bleeding. Symptoms of large overdoses include:
- Gastrointestinal bleeding – blood with vomit, bloody stool where the blood is fresh and red, tarry black stools
- Scrapes and cuts that take time to heal (it takes time for the bleeding from the wound site to stop)
- Easy bruising
- Internal bleeding in the brain – severe headache, numbness or weakness in the legs or arms, changes in speech or vision
If you suspect an overdose of Lovenox, seek immediate medical intervention or rush the patient to the nearest ER.
People suffering from infection in the stomach or heart lining, ulcers or intestinal bleeding, hemorrhagic stroke or bleeding disorder as well as patients recovering from an eye, spinal or brain surgery should be cautious about taking Lovenox as it may cause these patients to bleed pretty easily. People who are allergic to pork products, benzyl alcohol, heparin or Enoxaparin should not take Lovenox. Stop taking Lovenox if your blood reports indicate low counts of blood platelets as a result of the presence of an antibody or if you are bleeding actively. People with low blood platelet counts (as a result of taking heparin), people who have recently suffered from stomach ulcer, diabetes induced eye problems, uncontrolled BP or hypertension, liver or kidney disease should undergo special tests before taking Lovenox. Or their physician should adjust the dose of Lovenox. If you are already using other blood clot prevention drugs, have a history of repeated spinal taps or spinal surgery or a genetic spinal defect, you should be cautious about using Lovenox especially after receiving spinal epidural as the combination of the two drugs can result in a life threatening formation of blood clot around your spinal cord or brain.
Lovenox Side Effects
Lovenox may or may not cause side effects in all the patients. However, if the side effects described below become bothersome or persist for a long time, you should seek immediate medical intervention.
- Injection site bruising
- Mild pain
- Hair loss
The side effects mentioned above are the common ones. Following are the severe side effects of Lovenox and you should contact your physician immediately if you experience these:
- Vomit resembling coffee grounds
- Uncharacteristic bruising or bleeding
- Muscle weakness
- Numbness in your feet and legs
- Persistent dizziness which may become severe
- Red or pink urine
- Pale skin
- Difficulty in walking
- Tarry or black or bloody stools
- Severe allergic reactions like swelling in the lips, tongue, mouth or face, tightness in your chest, hives, itching, rash and difficulty in breathing.
Lovenox Drug Interactions
Lovenox interacts with 213 different kinds of drugs including 807 generic and brand name drugs. Some of the major drug interactions include:
- Magnesium hydroxide
- Aluminium hydroxide
- Calcium carbonate
- Sodium bicarbonate
- Mefenamic acid
This is not a complete list of all the drugs that may interact with Lovenox. You are advised to present your pharmacist or physician with a complete list of all the prescription and non prescription over the counter drugs, herbal supplements, vitamins, minerals, health supplements and herbal concoctions that you consume. Do not start taking a new medication without first consulting your physician.
If you have any questions about buying discount Lovenox online or any other prescription products you can contact our team of professional Patient Service Representatives or one of our pharmacists 24-7 by calling 1-800-226-3784.
Notice: The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.